Tuesday, September 11, 2007




Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Our last morning was filled with the unmemorable tasks of packing all of the piles of gear and toys into suitcases, returning rental cars, and jumping into the airport shuttle. As we drove through the green sugar cane fields Landon declared how much he liked Hawaii and that he had a lot of fun. He said he would miss “the Hawaii ocean and the Hawaii palm trees”. Our flight home was uneventful, and at just after 8pm California time we touched down in San Diego. At 11:30pm we crossed our doorstep in Rancho Santa Margarita where we were greeted by the wagging tail of Dakota. It was nice to be home within our familiar walls, but already I missed the ocean views and warm breezes of the balcony at B-219.

It has taken me a few weeks to find the time to record this brief history of our Hawaiian exploits. Life continues to be busy now that we have returned to the hectic lifestyle that unfolds around work schedules and day care and all of the other minutia the drapes itself across our days. A few final thoughts that might be worth recanting here before I turn away from the computer and hit ‘Save’ one final time. I never described previously the relationship that developed between my dad and Colt during the trip. No matter where we were or what we were doing, Colt made a point of searching out his granddaddy and squealed with delight every time he came to rest in his lap. I think the bond warmed both of their hearts. There were also some late night shenanigans that involved my cousin Ben that developed into an entertaining side story to the trip. For a trip that involved little fishing and no surfing, I had a tremendous time. More than anything, I came away from this trip awash in the good fortune that has permeated throughout my life. I treasure the early experiences that I was able to undertake as a child, knowing with such confidence the impact they have had on the person I am today. And I am motivated to ensure that my sons get to partake in a diverse and stimulating childhood as well. I want them to be able to look back on their past with the same appreciative smile that I wear as I type this. More than anything though, I hold tight to them and my wonderful wife, my companions as we tread through the life we share. I couldn’t have imagined a better team.

Aloha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home