Monday, February 26, 2007


ANOTHER BIRTHDAY

Sandwiched exactly eleven days between Landon and Colt’s respective birthdays rests another Buhr family birthday, which thankfully doesn’t garner nearly as much attention as the previous mentioned days. On February 28th I will be celebrating my thirty-second year on the planet. It’s been a very eventful year as described here previously, I would definitely rank it among one of the best years of my life, so I really don’t have anything to complain about for once. That being said, I do feel older, which I’m sure is from an accumulation of the years and the responsibilities I’ve added along the way. I have a few gray hairs, and often go to bed well before eleven pm, but I don’t feel like I’ve slowed to the point where I notice it during my rare bouts of physical exertion enjoyed in the ocean, along a trout stream, or sliding down some snow.

This past weekend both my parents and in-laws were gracious enough to take me out for a celebratory dinner on Saturday and Sunday nights. One night we ventured out for sushi, although regrettably Landon didn’t venture to taste the food this time, and the other evening was enjoyed over Chinese fare. Both meals were enjoyable, although neither night were the boys on their best behavior. Colt was noticeably fussy as he is still rebounding from a stomach flu he suffered through early in the week, and Landon was his rebellious three year old self, intermixing periods of excellent behavior with bouts of time spent standing next to or hiding under the table, refusing to remain seated like a “big boy”. Regardless it was nice to get out and the parents were all once again more than generous.

My gifts this year have included a small fourteen gallon aquarium that I plan to establish as a home to a small saltwater reef set up, as well as some funds to support all of the other gear required to get started in this hobby. It’s been over fifteen years since I maintained a saltwater aquarium at home, so I am expectedly excited about the endeavor. Technology has come a long way in the past two decades (again did I mention that I am getting old), so it will be fun to tinker with some of the latest innovations. I am also looking forward to the opportunity to use the tank as a launching pad to involve the boys with marine biology while still within the confines of home. It should be a fun experience, I will be shocked if Landon doesn’t request at least one “Nemo” representative in the tank, but it should also be a cool venue to introduce him to crabs and shrimp and corals among other marine fauna. I promised Rhiannon that I would hold off setting up the tank until after the big birthday bash scheduled for March 10th, so until then I will have to sit on my hands and wait.

Colt has been spending significantly more time standing while investigating things recently although he still requires at least one hand firmly planted on an object for support, he is becoming more courageous with a few small steps, and I anticipate he will take his first unaided steps before much longer. Colt has also increased his mimicry skills to include an adorable growl, as well as a woof-woof and a meow. All of these bursts of noise are immediately followed by a giggle and a grin. Only two weeks until his first birthday when aside from surviving his first year on the planet, some of his more obscure milestones will also be regaled, including turning his car seat to face forward, and switching over from formula to whole milk. Both of these smaller accomplishments are anxiously anticipated by his parents.

Since turning three, Landon has become a courageous climber, leaving behind the timid toddler of his past, and instead developing into some sort of monkey/mountain goat/boy hybrid. This past weekend at the park he ascended several climbing walls without any assistance, a feat that I had never even see him attempt let alone accomplish. He now gleefully also climbs into his high chairs and strollers without any parental assistance, and loves to squeal, “Look at me!” when he reaches some new height to claim as a perch. So far I have yet to witness a dramatic fall, but when (not if) that happens, I will be curious to se how his bravery rebounds. Landon is still sporting an ever-increasing curly mane atop his head, which is very endearing but also is evolving more and more into some sort of afro jungle. Either a trip to the barber shop or to his dad’s clippers sits in the eminent future.

So, in general, as my last days as a 31-year old fade away, I am pleased with where my life is right now. I have a tremendous wife, two healthy, happy children, a wonderful group of family and friends, a respectable job and house that feels more like a home every day. Things are almost too good, and I must admit that I find myself looking over my shoulder periodically, hoping not to catch a glimpse of the boogeyman sneaking up behind me.

2 Comments:

At 12:58 AM, Blogger eryn_roston@yahoo.com said...

holy moly...there are all kinds of new posts here!

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Gabriel said...

holy moly is right!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home