Wednesday, June 13, 2007


SUSHI, BANANAS AND FEATHERS

Wow, its already almost summer – time flies I think, whether you are having fun or not. The Buhr clan continues to do well, the boys are learning new skills and developing their identities, and Rhiannon hasn’t left me yet, so as far as I can report, all is well. Colt has left his crawling days behind him, and now exclusively walks from point A to point B, usually on stiff legs with unbent knees. A couple of weeks have slipped by – here are some recaps.

First, here’s a quick anecdote from last night. My Mom had watched the boys yesterday, and after Rhiannon and I returned home from work she generously offered to take us all out to dinner. When I asked Landon where he wanted to go he replied, completely unprompted – “sushi”, and said that he wanted some “edamame” as well. After I gave him a high five and a stoked smile of encouragement we packed some food for Colt who doesn’t seem to enjoy Japanese fare to much, and we headed to the restaurant. Upon arrival, we waited for my Mom in the plaza courtyard in front of the restaurant. The boys threw some stuff in the fountain until Colt realized that Ruby’s Diner was also located on the same courtyard. We frequent Ruby’s often, because it is very kid friendly, and has some pretty good burgers, not to mention the model trains that circle the restaurant ceiling. Colt began to waddle toward Ruby’s pointing and saying, “woo – woo, woo – woo”. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen him so excited to go to a restaurant before. I was even more surprised that he remembered not only the exterior of the building, but that he was also able to associate that exterior with the trains that steamed around inside. We attempted to switch up our dinner plans to reward his enthusiasm, but Landon steadfastly repeated that he wanted sushi, so Colt had to pass on his train-enhanced dining experience for another time. Being the younger brother, with a very limited vocabulary definitely has its draw backs, hopefully he will forgive us.

Colt’s favorite food recently, as well as one of his favorite words is “banana”. His banana addiction has gotten so strong recently that it is impossible to carry him past our fruit basket without a demonstrative point and banana request. Well. As one might imagine, too many bananas is not necessarily a good thing for one’s digestive tract, and recently Colt’s production has been a little bit south of solid, so for the unforeseeable future he will be on sever banana rations.

Last week Landon had a pretty weird looking rash develop on his legs with a few patches spreading to his torso and under his arms. Although it didn’t appear to elicit any discomfort, he received a heavy dose of attention from his grandmother Sharp (Mimi) which eventually led him to the determination that the rash, in its entirety was the biggest owwie he had ever received. Since the rash persisted for a few days we took him to the pediatrician who diagnosed him with a viral infection and informed us that it would run its course within the next week. Landon was very excited to update us on the progress of his owwie as it slowly receded.

A few weekends back my Dad and I took the boys to the beach in La Jolla while Rhiannon and my Mom attended the triplets’ baby shower. We went to the same beach/tidepool area that we used to frequent when I was young. It was the first time I’d taken the boys there, and ended up being a nice trip down the good ol’ memory lane. The boys had fun looking for shells, and burying trains in the sand. Colt discovered that some of the sandstone rocks doubled as natural slides, so with hands raised and “weeeees” vocalized he slid around. My Dad found a large feather from what must have been a pelican and gave it to an excited Landon. On our way out I noticed a decaying bird carcass. My Dad swore that he did not collect the feather directly from the corpse, but to be honest I wasn’t entirely convinced - that being said, the feather is still somewhere in our house. Maybe the feather and the rash that developed the following week were related, I really don’t want to spend too much time thinking about that…

Last weekend I went fly fishing up in mammoth with some friends. The fishing, surroundings and company were all stellar. Numerous times I reflected how excited I am to get Landon and Colt up to the mountains for some laughs shared beneath mountains. Hopefully sometime in the month’s ahead I will at least get Landon out for his first camping experience. I doubt we’ll go far, but just a chance to sleep in a tent and sit by a campfire seems like a legitimate place to start his introduction to the nature that exists outside of the fences that surround our backyard.

Summer is just around the corner. Rhiannon will be done with work after this week and here and the boys can begin their adventures in the sun. This Friday will also be Landon’s last day of going to Stacey’s house for day care; we are keeping our fingers crossed that he will be ready for pre-school this fall. Hopefully this summer’s adventures include some successful trips to the toilet as well. We have planned a family trip to Maui in August which should be great. I hope to teach Landon how to swim before we leave, but since I’ve never tried this before, I am not too confident about how things will go. Right now Landon screams in the bath when he gets water in his eyes, which is probably not a positive sign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home