Tuesday, September 11, 2007







Saturday August 11th, 2007

…at 5:30am I felt a tug on my foot, and there at the foot of my bed stood my dad, dressed and ready for our early morning hike. We grabbed some bottles of water and snacks and jumped in the car, next stop the outer rim of the crater of the Haleakala volcano. After a winding drive through the upland grassland of the mountain we arrived at our trailhead at an elevation of nearly 8,000 feet. It was early and cold, and I was glad to have the long sleeved shirt I had stuffed in my back pack. A pair of Nene geese greeted us in the parking lot, along with a vanload of Japanese tourists that clamored over each other to get a picture of the rare endemic birds. We headed along the Halemauu trailhead on a hike that would descend 1,400 feet to the crater floor below, with a final destination of the Holua cabin. Total distance traveled on the hike would be just over 8 miles. As we descended the switchbacks into the volcanic landscape below the sun rose higher in the sky and so did the ambient temperature. Layers were shed and water was enjoyed as we plodded forward, pausing to share the expansive vistas. Fourteen years ago my dad and I trudged completely across the crater on a hike that still brings back hot and thirsty flashbacks of dragging through trails covered in volcanic sand. This return trip would be shorter than that preliminary excursion and avoided the trails that held names like the “shifting sands trail’. After that first hike I swore I would never hike the crater again. But now, as a father myself, I looked forward to the chance to spend the day along with my dad in the warm Maui sun, sharing the experience of a hike, a passion of his that he has nurtured throughout his life. We reached the cabin, took a few pictures, saw another pair of Nene geese, and checked out a shallow lava tube. I plopped a lava rock in my pack for Landon to share this experience across three generations of Buhr boys. We returned to our car at the trailhead by 2pm and looked forward to the fortification some food and a soft couch might provide.

Rhiannon, the boys and Justin spent the morning at the local beach in front of the condo. They had a relaxing time rolling in the sand and chasing sand crabs. Upon our return from the volcano Landon was still sleeping his nap away, and after the long hike in the heat a jump in the pool sounded more than refreshing, so Rhiannon, Colt and I headed down to plunge into the water. The experience with Colt in the water is far different than the time spent with Landon at the pool. Colt dunks his head underwater and laughs, and constantly motions for someone to ferry him around the pool while he squirms and wiggles, ambivalent to the possibility that he might slip out a grasp and sink into the water surrounding him. He splashes and squeals with delight and exhibits no signs of trepidation which is fun to watch but can be a little unnerving as well.

Refreshed, we loaded the boys into the stroller and walked down to the Big Wave restaurant located just down the road in Kihei at the Azeka marketplace. Chloe joined Rhiannon, the boys and I as we ventured down the local road on what evolved into another exciting rooster hunt. The roosters didn’t voice their presence, but we were able to locate a few pecking around a lawn for food. Everyone joined together for dinner and another night spent around the table with family was shared. Once returning to the condo my dad quickly propped up his feet and fell asleep on the couch. We took this as our cue to enjoy one last trip down to the tree which was highlighted by a meteor shower that occasionally zoomed across the night sky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home