Friday, April 18, 2008

BACK ON THE HORSE (cont’d)

Last night’s soccer game went well. After being overly self conscious about my foot for the first few minutes I fell back in to the rhythm of the game, although my touch was severely lacking, I felt no ill effects of the play on my foot or ankle, and this morning I walked out of bed without a limp. A large hurdle in my recovery has just been cleared. I think next week it may be time to test things out on the slippery moss-covered rocks of a trout stream.

Back to the long overdue update of the past few months…

I celebrated my 33rd birthday with a few new gray hairs, and a number of close friends that had already journeyed up to our pad to hang out at the aforementioned pirate party. We all went out to dinner while my parents hung around to put the boys to bed. We followed up with a few drinks and laughs as we all circled around the table for a game of Kings. We made up about half of the rules as we went along, but still had a fun time reminiscing over a classic college card game.

A few weekends later the boys headed south to Poway for a weekend with their grandparents while Rhiannon and I enjoyed a quiet weekend as a couple. We toyed with the idea of getting out of town ourselves, but in the end decided that a relaxing weekend away from any responsibilities or schedules seemed a better option than the complications that a last minute vacation might create. We found a few new restaurants in town including a great Mexican restaurant down in the canyon with huge oak trees rising out of its patio, and a new teppan Japanese restaurant that rivaled the always dependable Beni Hanna’s. We went to the movies twice which doubles the number of trips we made in all of 2007. I caught up on some college basketball (how romantic) and we both slept more than we probably had all year. It was a good break, but by the end of the weekend we were definitely jonesing for our son's little giggles to fill the quiet house they had left behind. The boys meanwhile enjoyed a fun weekend with their grandparents complete with a ride on the new commuter train, the Sprinter - they still haven’t stopped talking about it.

The first weekend of the NCAA basketball tourney I headed out to Vegas to enjoy the festivities with a number of friends, including all three of the Reynolds’ brothers. It was a little awkward hobbling around town in my walking boot, a few times I had to ask people to walk a little slower for me, but the lights of the city quickly washed out my anxiety. On Friday we spent the entire day at a poolside cabana, yelling at the television while our fortunes bounced up and down. USD pulled off the upset of the tournament by beating Connecticut, and much celebrating was had after their incredible win. It was a rare treat to spend a weekend with Ben, Nate and Jay, (not to mention Iwan and Justin) and we all began hashing out a time this summer when we can hopefully all again converge together at a river in Utah.

We had a fun Easter complete with several Easter egg hunts. Landon’s egg hunting skills have improved significantly over last year, and he also seemed to be aware of the widening gap between his skills and his younger brother’s. As the boys poked around the yard Landon would often find an egg and then pull Colt over to ask him if he could find the egg after pointing him in the general direction. Considering Landon’s love for the sugary jelly beans held within each egg, this was a very thoughtful and selfless gesture that kind of caught his parents off guard. Landon and Colt become better friends with each passing day. They now have conversations in the car together, invent new games, and generally seem to enjoy sharing the day. At night Landon gives Colt four kisses (because he is four years old) and wishes him goodnight. It’s awesome to watch them develop a bond that they will share for the rest of their lives.

The summer is rapidly approaching, and plans for the months ahead include a backpacking trip to the Sierras, a family trip to Hawaii, some family camping trips into the local mountains, and hopefully a trip to Utah. Next weekend I will be registering Landon for his first soccer season, scheduled for the fall of 2008, and I will be registering myself to be his team coach – I can’t wait!

I’d love to fluff up my feathers and announce that I will be back to this journal soon, but rather than make an empty promise, instead I will vow to visit here again…period.

1 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger rhiannon said...

love that you write about our kids...can you get back to work...it is 2009:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home